On January 24, 2018, I had the opportunity to be part of the seminar regarding Substance Abuse Awareness in Union City High School, Union City New Jersey. The consumer of opiates in the United States and around the world has been increased, and it’s critical parents being aware of how they can “protect” their children with this problem.
These are five keys that can protect your children regarding the drugs:
- Build rules: if you have no rules, it’s time to start. If you have rules, please do not break, be consistent, and coherent to keep them, this is an excellent way to teach them discipline.
- Keep a balance between love and discipline: your best allies. Love without boundaries can cause problems as an exaggerated discipline can cause repression.
- Share time with your children: talk to them, listen to them: if you know your children, you will recognize that something happens. Be aware of their emotional changes; do not ignore it, if you notice something, talk to them.
- Meet their friends: invite your children’s friends to share fast food at home as a strategy to discover what kind of friends are them and how their behavior is.
- Offer supervised activities after school, such as sports, arts, science club, etc. If you have concerns about your children, ask the teacher or SW at the school, they can refer you to a free program.
You are not alone, just ask for help! Each town has different agencies with free programs to support children and families.